Saturday, May 29, 2010

"The Assignment" for the Past and the Present Reality

During a phone conversation with my 22 yr old daughter, she surprised me with a request, "I have an assignment for you.  I would like you to write all your hopes and dreams over your lifetime and email this to me.  I want to know a lot more about you."  This request choked me up a bit.  It wouldn't be an easy task.  This is a request that can't be met with just great positivity, but it will be laced with my life's realities, some tragic.  I began this writing today, willing to meet the challenge.

I feel so at peace when I enter my garden.  There are chairs placed throughout, which should be used more, some flowers where you wouldn't expect to see them, and volunteers happily stretching upward, their lives spared because of aggressive growth, and the promise of a bountiful harvest.  The weather has been cool and drizzly, encouraging peas, yet discouraging green beans.  The mist hovered over the tops of our evergreens, and the cloudy sky let not in a single ray.  As I looked over the planting areas, I smiled.  Watering wasn't a concern, and hasn't been since last week.  There were respites of sunshine that broke though.  That enabled me to photograph the garden.  I'll share them with you:

You are peering from the East lower garden area, through the West upper garden, in this first picture.  The second is a Mountain Bluet with a busy visitor, one of my honey bees. 

Below, you are looking past a Comfrey plant, blooming, towards Elephant Garlic, Egyptian Walking Onions, and also Romy's Heirloom German Purple Striped Garlic.  Then, you are under a pergola, peering out from under Marionberry vines, above Martin's Kitchen Garlic on the right, and a Hot Garlic variety on the left.  Beyond lies our forest.


Each morning I awaken to the smell of fresh coffee, pour a cup, with a bit of half & half, then walk into our living room, and gaze at this scene:
I walk out into my greenhouse, secure the screen, and open the vent.  While in there, I check the progress of all I am growing inside.  Many plants were moved into my garden cabin, until I address the slug issue.

I then enter my garden cabin, greet my cockatiel, and check on all the plants growing inside.  The light exposure is excellent inside, as there is a partial clear roof and large windows.  Today, I glanced at everything just cluttering its porch, and I am now determined to clear it off, and add some floral beauty.  More tasks rose into view, with each turn of my head.  It was like awakening from a dream today, facing reality, and the inventory of chores increasing.  Not undaunted, but with determination, I committed myself to each task, one somewhat large one each day, until this list was exhausted.
You may wonder why, since I am married, that I term the garden cabin, greenhouse, and garden as mine.  It is because my beloved has done so, from the moment he built everything. I was meditating upon this very realization as I admired these blessings.  A comment to me, was as if a shout, to hold dear and work hard, to retain all we have.  Each other, the most, and what we are carving out of our land, making it more than a lifestyle, a way of life for us.  I carried this thought as I entered the garden.

  To the North side...
Now to the South...
Walking back thru the center now...you are seeing the lower Southern half of my garden.  There is Red Clover coming up in the Blueberry beds.  The Owl is perched on a pergola type structure, supporting Raspberries.

Turn slightly, looking now to the lower Northern garden area.  That chair is an intruder in the isle, as it normally rests in a corner or out of the way spot. To the right of it, in front are Mountain Bluets, behind them are my Thornless Blackberries, beds containing strawberries, also the two different types of Garlic and at the back are my Marionberries.  To the left of this chair, is our Grapevine pergola, both red/green grapes, one on either end, with a space between the square beds.  A long narrow bed will be built and placed here.  I will be planting more Comfrey plants in it.  The far left pergola supports Kiwi vines (male & female Hardy Kiwi).  Keeping them company are Lemon Balms, Pineapple Sage, Nasturtiums, and the adjoining long bed is full of Comfrey plants, one Potato, and a variety of Sunflowers.  The front horizontal bed is full of Italian Sage, volunteer Potato varieties, a Horseradish, Lady's Mantle, and Garlic Chives (being overtaken).  The latter two are in need of rescue.  I'll be moving them tomorrow!   

Here, I'll end with something sweet, at least its scent, and also the outcome of the activity of its guest:

No comments:

Post a Comment